
Yesterday morning we woke up to a few inches of snow!! I know that it has been a very,very,very long time since my parents have been in the snow. So this was a treat for them - well more like torture. They have been good sports and we all are having a good time. The snow stopped and the sun was out by the afternoon so we went duckpin bowling. Dad was remembering the good old days as he shoveled the sidewalk. We were very lucky that our neighbor has a truck with a snowplow who came over and cleared our driveway! I made him some muffins.
MAPLE SUGARING:Today we went to the Common Ground Farm High School for their maple sugaring demonstration and pancake brunch. It turned out to be a pretty day and it is always fun to attend the maple sugaring demostrations. We have been to several the last 3 years and we learn something new everytime we go. Of course the best part is the samples they hand out. The boys favorite here was the hotdog boiled in maple sap. I prefer carrot dogs, but I did taste the hotdog and it was good!

This is the maple sap at different stages of the boiling process. One of these years we are going to tap a tree ourselves and make some of our own syrup.

the buckets collecting sap out of the tree. It takes 40 gallons of tree sap to make one gallon of syrup!! That is why it is so expensive to buy.

At the farm they have chickens,turkeys,a sheep and 2 goats. We love the chicken coop beacuse they are free roaming and we can walk around with them. They keep the turkeys seperate though. Here is Tom with his ruffled feathers.

A cute duck!
3 comments:
Wow! you guys sure go on many wonderful outings! I am really interested in learning the process of maple sugaring, I would love to do it myself one day. 40 gallons of tree sap to make one gallon of syrup! That is unbelievable! I wonder how long that would take? I love the slow process of things like this, seeing where our food really comes from. Who would have thought sweet yummy syrup comes from the trunks of trees! : ) I love these processes in other areas of life as well, it brings to mind the children's book Pele's new suit!
I also love the slow process of many things in life. We found a maple tree in our back yard that we are going to tap and see what happens! I love making our own things. I recently started making our own ketchup and during the summer we make our own blueberry jelly. I cant wait to start planting our garden again.
Julie
It is wonderful you are going to tap a tree in your yard! I hope to hear how it turns out! : )
Ketchup and blueberry jelly! sounds great! Recently, I have been trying to make all that I can from scratch, concentrating on wholesome foods. I have never really loved to cook, but knowing where our food comes from and what is done to it I feel like it is important to start cooking more for my family's health, our environment and wanting to pass positive food habits to my children. Waldorf education has really helped us in this process, I am starting to love cooking the same way that I find joy in sewing and creating things! Do you have any good bread recipes? by the way, I too love gardening, I dream about my gardens all winter long : )
Post a Comment