Monday, March 17, 2008

Lesson Updates

I am a bit behind in posting our Lessons the last 2 weeks. So this will be an overview of what we have been doing. One of the reasons I love Waldorf Education is that the children are learning heart,head and soul. Stories and Songs bring so much meaning and richness to our lives. I love that when we sit to paint with watercolors, we set a mood and really absorb the colors and flow along with the paint brush. Ryan loves painting by candle light.


The other week our story was "The Singing Snake" . We made snakes from beeswax one day, on block crayon drawing day we practiced the letter S by drawing snakes in the main lesson book. One reason I love Waldorf Education is the Pedagogy of teaching the child head,heart and soul. Even when we model we organically learn through the beeswax. Watercolor painting is very therapeutic and there is a ritual we go through each time.



For our watercolor painting story below I was inspired by the approaching spring weather. We started with yellow to represent the sun warming the earth. Next came he blue fairies who danced in the warm sunshine and reached out to hug the sun. Everywhere the hugged the sun green grass and flowers grew. Ryan was very happy with his blue fairies dancing and was not interested in "hugging the sun". I love the happiness of this painting.

Here is my attempt at a blue fairy and some flowers growing around the sun to represent the spring season. I am not sure if I have ever mentioned this or not, but sometimes I feel like a Waldorf student progressing in my paintings. Where now I am able to make shapes appear.

We practiced the letter S in our main lesson book and wrote out snake and sun for letter practice. When we first started the letter S, Ryan was very discouraged and did not think he could make the letter at all/ But as you can see below he did a fantastic job.


Here we started working on writting numbers. I am learning a verse and telling it to Ryan as we go.


If you remember for a couple posts ago we made kites at our friends house in their playgroup we attended. THat inspired me to read the story of the "Spring Magic Kite" by Suzanne Down. It is a very cute story of a little boy named Misha who flies his red kite. Near by is a bunny watching - the easter bunny. When the Easter bunny realizes that Easter is the next day, the Spring wind helps him by blowing Misha's red kite up in the tree where the bunny hops aboard and flies around the world delivering Easter Eggs. At the end Misha wakes up the next morning and finds his easter basket and his red kite.


We made pom pom bunnies to go with the story. It was a fun projest, one that RYan helped me to complete from beg, to end!

Here is our puppet show of Misha flying his red kite and the Easter bunny watching him.


For our water color painting I tried something a little different with Ryan. We had all 3 colors and tried to paint a part of the story. Here is Ryan's painting of Misha with his red kite and a red tree. I like how much red he used in his painting.
My kite came out way too big

1 comment:

* * said...

Wow! This is all so very wonderful! Beautiful, beautiful work done by both you and your son! I love every bit of this process of learning! I too feel like a student when painting watercolors with my children, which is one of the many reasons I love Waldorf education. I feel my kids and I are both so excited to learn and create alongside each other in a beautiful inspiring way. The bunnies you made are so sweet! I love your blue fairy paintings as well! There is so much good stuff here, it is hard to comment on it all. : ) Great job Ryan and Mama!