Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Homeschool Day at Sturbridge Village

Yesterday we braved the 20 degree frigid weather and attended Homeschool Day at Old Sturbridge Village in Mass. We carpooled with my friend Kim and her kids. Ryan and I had never been there before and this was also Ryan's first homeschooling classes. Despite the cold we had a great time. We arrived an hour before the classes started so we went for a walk around the village. It is a rather large place so we were unable to see everything.


This is a view of the sawmill. It was rather beautiful to see the huge blocks of ice covering the sides of the waterfall.

The Blacksmith shop was open so we were able to see them at work. Ryan must of been impressed with this because when we got home he was pounding away with a hammer saying he was a Blacksmith.

The one room school house was fantastic to see. Ryan and I have listened to the Little House on the Prarie books so many times that is was great for Ryan to see how Laura,Mary and Almanzo would have gone to school.

Listening to the schoolmaster!




On to classes. The first one the kids took was about celebrations. They colored paper dolls and participated in a cirlce dance. I was glad to see Ryan feeling comfortable in the class - he even answered a few questions.

They also took a class on the games the children played back then but I unfortunatly do not have any pictures from that one. Their last class was a cooking class. They worked together to make a Birthday Cake for George Washingtons Birthday.







We had a great time and I am looking forward to going back in the spring.

5 comments:

* * said...

That sounds really great! I had no idea it was open this time of year, or that they had a homeschool program. I think my kids would really enjoy the classes, I will have to check it out in the warmer months. Brrr! Plimoth plantation is also an interestiing place to visit. Off to check their site for homeschool programs : )

julie said...

They also have another homeschool day in April. I believe registration starts April 1st for it. Now that we have more reliable transportation I will be able to take more field trips!

What state do you guys live in?

* * said...

Thanks for the info. My oldest is 5 1/2 and is at such a fun age for field trips! We are in MA.

Melody said...

Hi there! I just came over here from Eileen's Place (the lure of a beautiful Waldorf playroom, who could resist?!?). I was delighted to find this post! We were there too! And my children took two of the same classes, but at different times. We did both Celebrations and Games. I decided to forgo the baking one because of serious food allergy issues, but my eldest had a great time at the print shop class with my husband, while I took the younger boys to the hands-on craft center to make a candle holder and penny rug. Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi and that I am greatly enjoying discovering your lovely blog!

julie said...

Hi Melody.

I just took a look at your blog. The addition onto your house looks amazing you must be so pleased. I also love the sweater you knitted! I also am in awe of the igloo you guys built. It is something I have been wanting to do with my boys, but we have not had enough snow.

We had alot of fun at the OSV - although I think next time we wil only take 1 -2 classes so that we have time to explore the village.