Our week seemed to be full of energy - something was in the air!!
This week we learned the letter K and our story was "The Little Boy Knight" from the Suzanne Down Autumn Tales book. It is a great story of a little boy who wants to be a knight.
On Monday We talked about the letter K and worked on it in our main lesson book. We harvested our marigolds and made a dye bath to dye a golden cape for Ryan the little boy knight! We also played a math game with our basket of rocks. The game was very similar to playing marbles except with rocks. It was a fun way to practice counting. After that we wrote numbers on the driveway with our sidewalk chalk
On Tuesday we found some sticks and scrapped the bark off to forge them into golden swords that were used to tame the dragon holding the princess captive.
We practiced our letters using sticks to make many letters. That night I Ryan told me a story and he used many of the elements from "The Little Boy Knight". It was good to hear him retelling the story in his own words with no pressure to do so.
Wed we worked on block crayon drawings from our story. Ryan still likes to do his own thing but I continue to draw from the story and encourage him to help me with mine. That seems to be working now and hopefully down the road he will make his own when he is ready. I know he knows the story so I do not push the pictures to much. However Wed will always be block crayon day!!
Wed was also our first day of our new Waldorf playgroup. It went very well and we are looking forward to seeing our new friends again. I led the group in wet felting and it was a a lot of fun. Ryan has never been big into making felt balls, his are usually pancakes or he just makes soup with his wool in the water. Today though he branched out and made ravioli!
Thursday in the morning we did not have to worry about cleaning our house for co-op in the afternoon since we were having an outing with the group. Instead we did a puppet show and built towers! I love being creative and watching Ryan add to it.
In the afternoon we went Apple picking with our homeschool co-op. We took a wagon ride, picked apples and got to take a tour of the apple packing area. The kids really got a kick out of seeing so many apples stacked up in the "fridge". The picture of Ryan is at the top of the page. I seem to be having trouble adjusting the pictures.
Friday I thought I would add a new element to our rythm. Ryan does not enjoy lighting a candle everyday during lessons. I started doing only at storytime which I will continue to do. Now I will start our Mon and Fri morning sitting together lighting the candle and saying a verse from our Enki books :
"Scarlet in the tree tops
Crimson on each bough
Red and yellow tumbling down
October's with us now."
KNITTING :
Last Sunday Ryan and I went to a small sheep and Alpaca farm. While we were there I bought my first drop spindle and I am hooked on spinning my own yarn. Ryan was excitted to buy his own knitting needles and yarn. He has even found his own knitting bag to carry around like mommy. So far he is able to get the needle in to start but I need to hold them after that and he wraps the yarn around. So far he has stuck with it and has 5 rows so far. He is making himself a scarf!
1 comment:
Ryan can knit better than me!
Post a Comment