For Math we worked on Ordinal numbers. In our Alphabet journey I told the story of the Golden Goose and that also worked well with showing the people in order who got stuck to the goose. We talked about 1st,2nd 3rd ect. for a few days. He seems to get the idea rather well.
somewhat focused. After a couple problems he decided to show me how to write a fancy 9. It turned out looking like a bag he said - "a bag of beans" Then he drew the man holding the bag. That turned our math into - ok the man has 5 beans in his bag and he finds 3 more , how many does he have? After each problem, R would add more details to the drawing, such as the pond the man is standing by and the hat on his head. Math was done and a very creative picture drawn : )
We also played beanbag games. Tossing it back and forth counting by 2's and 5's.
This week in our Alphabet Journey we taled about the Letter G and H.
The Prince docked his boat on the other side of the sea cave and found a meadow before him. He walked admiring the flowers in bloom and feeling the fresh spring air around him. He then came to a pond with many golden geese swimming around. That turned into the story of the Golden Goose.
FOr the letter H, I decided to have more movement on our story. So I put on the horse harness and Ryan was the prince. We rode all over the kitchen until we come upon a house just like Mother Holle's house. That day Ryan had no interest in drawing and decided to only write the sentence.
I also decided to make a way to work on form drawing while standing up. It was a hit and we worked on our drawings this way too.
Of course there was plenty of time for free play. With the shorter lesson table on the kitchen table, that led into a boat. He spent a long time up there listening to his boks on tape and fishing.
By Friday he docked the boat and took to converting the coush into his space shuttle. I love seeing all the creative play. It is such an important part of childhood!
2 comments:
I love how "honest" your posts are about schooling! I get so discouraged when I see other blogs and they only post about the good homeschooling days! My son has not been feeling the letter drawings either and I thought "what am I doing wrong". It is great to read that it has nothing to do with me!
Oh yes, we definitely have good days and bad ones!
Post a Comment