Thursday, May 15, 2008

Earth Scouts and Dairy Farms

As usual I am behind in posting our adventures. On Tuesday we had our very first Earth Scouts Meeting. I am very excited about this group - a great group of moms and kids (Kim , we look forward to you joining us in June)! We will meet every other Tuesday. One meeting will be at the nature center where we will do a craft/project and the other Tuesday we will go on an outing. Our first outing will be a beach clean up and of course just exploring the beach.

The pictures below are of us exploring the pond at the nature center:




THE DAIRY FARM

On Wednesday we took a tour of a local Dairy Farm up in Simsbury. Well it is not local for us , we live an hour away - but it is local for other families. It is a town owned dairy so it is open to the public always. It was a beautiful day to hang out on the farm. It is such a low key place, it was perfect for the kids to see how the milk is processed.



Ryan named this cow "Bessy". She is number 100, so we will look for her next time we go.
This one he named "Sally".

This cutie is only one month old - too cute!
Everyone got to help make butter.

At the end we stayed and had lunch sitting right here! This was the view from where I sat in the grass. We bought some cream to make our own butter and whipped cream. I also bought some raw milk - yumm! I had never tried it before and ya know what , it was good.

2 comments:

Marnie said...

Earth scouts-what a great idea! I help my friend with girls scouts-too many rules, badges etc...
I have got to remeber to pick up some cream to do butter. Chloe LOVES butter.

denise said...

looks like fun!

we have hoped to find a local earth scouts group...but each group seems to disband before it starts. some day, perhaps. sounds like you have a good group and plan.

nice farm photos!