Saturday, April 26, 2008

Thursday Fun

On Thursday morning I told Ryan we could have a Mommy-Ryan play morning. I know this may seem like an odd thing to say since I am home with him everyday. Most of the time I encourage him to play by himself. In the Waldorf Philosophy Adults should not get down on the floor and be a part of their fantasy would - it is for the child to experience this themselves. One thing I have found with Ryan though is that occasionally he needs someone to play imaginatively with. Since he does not have a sibling at home to do this with - that is where I come in. I enjoy building a farm or a Gnome village with him. Or putting on silk capes and being a princess while he is my knight trying to save me. I also find it strengthens our bond as mom and son. So, when I told him we were having a "playdate" he was so excited. It is something we are going to start to do once a week.

When I was looking at our fun/hard work of setting up a farm - I realized that I made 95% of everthing we were playing with. I was very proud of myself at that moment. It has only been since I discovered Waldorf and bought "Toymaking With Children" that I discovered how much I love making these things. As you may notice there are hot wheel cars in our Waldorf Playroom. I took me a while to allow metal - factory made cars in the playroom - but I realized he loves them and will play with them like they are people. He had the cars drive up to the farm and ask for meat and vegetables. I am happy to see that the felted playmat I made is holding up to the cars. He plays on it everyday - yeah.


After our playday , Ryan and I took our bikes to the water resevoir near where we have our Waldorf Homeschool Co-op. I was so proud of him , he has only been ridding a 2 wheeler bike for a few weeks now and it took us a good hour to go around the whole trail. He stuck with it and did great. Just to give you a little history of RYan's bike riding: I never taught Ryan to ride a bike - never had to run after him as he learned. Last fall he picked up a friends 2 wheeler and just started ridding it!! This came from a boy who never wanted to take out his bike with training wheels. We went all winter without riding and in the spring he took his money and bought a bike , took it home and he was off ridding it. He had such confidence in his abilities by day 2 he was trying to ride no- handed. Yikes talk about giving mom a heart attack. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised he has good balance. This may come from learning to walk in the sandy beaches of Florida where we lived until he was 2.




It was such a beautiful day for a bike ride. We had a great time as always at our homeschool co-op. The kids made the cutest gnomes - I have not taken a picture yet of it - but it is cute! Ryan gave him a very special spot on our nature table.

No comments: