Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rainbow Gnomes

I recently made these adorable rainbow gnomes for a mom for her son's birthday party. I am still amazed I was able to crank out 35 of these guys in one week. - what can I say , have to keep my repeat customers happy.

Anyway these little guys inspired me to come up with a story and puppet show for Ryan.



HERE IS THE PUPPET SHOW OF THE "RAINBOW GNOMES" IN PHOTOS:
(this is the short version)

The story start of with the earth gnomes working hard beneath the earth mining crystals. One day they decide that they would like to see what the world looks like above ground.
So they go to see the Gnome King and ask for his permission to travel above the Earth.
The Gnome King calls on the Fairy Queen to come and help his little gnomes.
THe Fairy Queen uses her magic and the Earth gnomes become the Rainbow Gnomes. They are so happy with their new job as rainbow gnomes they decide to stay and harvest the colors for the rainbow.

Below is a picture of the puppet show after the story was over. I started off with the rainbow side covered up with silk and then uncovered the rainbow world when the fairy queen waved her magic wand. It must of inspired Ryan because afterwards he told his own story for about 20 minutes.


We then worked on some block crayon drawings. I have been trying to keep our drawings simple since I found Ryan was getting frustrated trying to draw what I was drawing. I have never told him he needs to draw like me, but he felt he needed to. So I have been keeping my shapes simple for now.

Ryan's drawing

my drawing

4 comments:

Marnie said...

I love your gnomes. We need some in our home. Your play looks beautiful, I love the story of the earth gnomes and the rainbow gnomes, their colors are wonderful. I hope you don't mind me using a version of your story some day with my girls. Thanks for sharing.

Carle said...

Hello,

I love the fact the you draw with you child! I do and it really inspires them, oh and of course I love your gnomes.

xxx
Carle

Melisa & Erik Nielsen said...

Cute - cute - cute!! They are really cute, we love gnomes so much! The mom you made those for is really lucky!!

Many blessings.

Sarah said...

Just found you through Mountain Pulse. Those gnomes are so sweet!