Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Handwork, watercolor painting and block crayon drawings - oh my

As part of my reawakening - I have felt that handwork has been very neglected - very,very neglected. I can't remember the last time we worked on our block crayon drawings and the watercolor paintings have been far and few between.

I do have to be honest with myself and remember that I have a toddler now that needs my attention. She still nurses around the clock and lately she has been my little leech - a cute cuddly one of course : ) That does but a glitch in my get to work plan, It just means that things will get down at a slower pace. I am just reminding myself that this phase will pass and before I know it she will grow up and not need me as much. and of course then I will wonder where the time went!

Anyway....

HANDWORK :
Last week we made these wool birds at our homeschool co-op. We "dyed" the wool first using our block crayons and then very similar to making fairies we knotted the wool to look like birds. Just in time for spring here in the south!

Spring is coming, Spring is coming, Birdies build your nest....



On Monday we did nit make it out to our co-op (lots of allergy symptoms kept us home). So keeping with handwork Mondays we invited our friend and neighbor over and made these hemp/bead bracelets.

Ryan made one for his doll George. Although he wined and complained the ENTIRE time we were making these, he did a great job!! I am glad I made him stick with it, hopefully he will learn to persevere , because he was proud of it when it was finished.

I made mine after the kids were done with theirs and it came out nicely. I do now know that it would be better to use thicker string next time!


WATERCOLOR PAINTING :

As a re-intro to watercolor painting , we worked on color wheels. It is always so therapeutic to work on these and a good reminder for Ryan. Adeline's is the orange one at the bottom. She loves to paint and while she worked on this one she kept saying it was the baby goat (from next door that she saw being born).


BLOCK CRAYON DRAWINGS:

This week we have decided to work on some drawings from this book:
We came up with the idea to use our pictures to tell a story. We started with a castle and then moved inside the castle to show the king sitting eating. Today we will continue our journey - we have not yet decided what the king will do. Next week we will actually write out the story.

Ryan was very surprised that his castle came out so well!
The king is eating pasta... looking out at the apple trees...


No comments: