So on Wed. we started our main lesson with block crayon drawing. We picked parts of the story of the "Fairy Weaver" and did our best to draw. Ryan decided to draw what I had on the chalk board - that is his above. I have to say it is the best he has done so far. He really tried hard and did not get frustrated - what a difference a year has made. Last year he was getting very frustrated with his drawings so much so that I went back to basics with him and concentrated on just getting color on the paper with no image in mind.
This is mine below where Eileen meet the Fairy Weaver by the brook and helps him get his shuttle that he dropped in the water. After I drew this I realized that I drew a spinning wheel for the fairy and not a weaving loom - oops.
Continuing with the Math Gnomes. I read the story of how the 4 gnomes addition,subtraction,division, and times were arguing one day when the king overheard and came to help. They had all dropped their hats and we arguing over who's was who's. The king picked each one up and gave the correct hats back while adding a special symbol to each hat - which is of course +, -, x, /. This story is on our Oak Meadow curriculum. Together we drew the pictures of the math gnomes and then as I told the story at the appropriate part I placed the symbol on the gnomes hat. I love all the visual and creative learning that comes with using a Waldorf curric.
That was all I did that day with the math gnomes so that the story can settle in Ryan and next week we will work with Math tangibles. We also
We also had a wonderful trip on Wednesday. We went to the Yale British Musuem of Art to see the Van Gogh exhibit. We brought paper and colored pencils to draw our version of the Stary Night. We plan on going back some day soon as it is free to the public and we did not get a chance to spend to much time there. We had to head over to our Not Back to School picninc with our Homeschool group. We met at our favorite place The Sleeping Giant. It was a great afternoon hanging out with friends and meeting new ones. Thank to Kim for letting Ryan and I share their hamburgers, which were delicious. She also made some awsome rice krispie treats.
3 comments:
oh what beautiful pictures! Sounds like you are having fun!
Many blessings.
Melisa
Thanks for posting the pics! I am also using OM as a guide for some of our work. My son is having difficulty with the drawing (frustrated!)...any advice? How did you approach crayon drawing with him?
Hi tAnya
When my son was getting frustrated with trying to draw what i was drawing, I went back to basics. I would sing or say a verse and just color the page. The idea was to cover the whole page with color with no pictue in mind just concentrating on strokes.It was good to step back a bit and reintroduce it a few months later. It seemed to help my son.
Post a Comment