Ryan and I went on a nature walk Monday afternoon to collect some acorns for our Math gnomes lessons. My friend Kim introduced me to the fun of popping jewelweed seed pods. When you lightly squeeze the pods between your fingers it pos open and curl back - it is pretty cool. Here is a great website about it : http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Jewelweed.html. I showed Ryan this on our walk and you should of seen his face after it popped in his hand! He was hooked we spent a long time hunting for seed pods.
LESSONS:
This week we started our intro of upper and lower case letters. Ryan knows all his letters already so this is a review plus we will be learning the sounds of each letter and eventually work on word families.
This week is the Letter Aa and Bb. I read the story of the Magic spindle monday afternoon and then the next day we drew a picture to go with the story: You may notice that the capitol A is in the haystack and the lower case a is the girl's head.
On monday I pretended to be the Elves that needed help counting and sorting the acorns to help the animals of the forest. Ryan wore a different color scarf coordinated to math each of the math gnomes and he became that gnome while I asked for his help to add the acorns - or divide them, ect... He enjoyed that.
Today we used a puppet show scenario with the same idea as above. Ryan also wanted me to write problems for him on the chalkboard for him to figure out and then he would write the answer in his "book" - that was his idea.
I am soo happy that our lessons are going well so far. We spend the mornings for lessons and then the rest of the afternoon is for the park, nature walks or visiting friends.
3 comments:
Hi! I´ve noticed that u work with felt, so i was wondering if u would like to take a look at my friend's blog...she does fantastic felt fairies:D
just click on the link
http://kathamina.blogspot.com/
hope u enjoy them;)
and congratulations on your impressive work;)
Those were awesome ideas! We are right there with you on lessons, so it is great to get other ideas on how to keep the lesson in the imagination (which I struggle with). Thanks for the inspiration and I hope you keep posting about your lessons!
I love the idea of using silkies for a letter lesson!
i haven't seen a jewelweed in years! We used to get distracted by them on our way to school when I was a kid!
Post a Comment