Monday, August 11, 2008

The Garden

We came home to a very overgown garden! It was so cool to see what was growing

Butternut squash: there are about 5 squashes growing. These came from seeds right out of a butternut squash that I saved,dried and planted. These guys have taken over the garden. I had to reroute them away from the tomatoes - which by the way are not growing as well as last year.

Cucumbers: We picked 2 off the vine and there are several more tiny ones. I hope they grow, the vine is not looking so good. I weeded around them and tried to get them up on a pole - hopefully that wil help.
Corn!! This is the first time we have tried to grow corn. It was Ryan's idea so we planted one row and believe it or not some grew!! We have about 5 ears of corn - enough for dinner one night if we are successful.


I did not get a picture of our potatoes, but Tony harvested about 20 potatoes while we were gone. Last night we had potatoe fries! Yumm. These were also our first year growing potatoes and they did great. We are waiting on the carrots and tomatoes now. In the spring we enjoyed spinach ,2 types of lettuce, and snap peas. So far the peppers and califlower did not grow.
Over all we have a good little garden. Oh I forgot about the pumpkins. We HAD 2 pumpkins on the vine that were rather big. Now they are rabbit and woodchuck food. They are not in the garden, but over by the shed so I am not surprised they are eaten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the corn! Reminds me of my childhood....big garden....farm life...mmmmmm

RunninL8 said...

Wow! What a fantastic trip you all have had! I have to say the Smokies leg of the trip looked AMAZING! I've never been down south but I would love to visit a place like that! Cool that you got to see a black bear! They are SO beautiful-but i've seen my share this summer! Don't want them in the yard anymore!
Glad you all had a great time!