Yesterday Ryan, Adeline and I went on our first field trip with a group of homeschoolers here in GA. We headed out to a family owned dairy farm in Edgefield, South Carolina. It was great fun to see cows again up close again. I know that may seem like a strange statement - but those who know me understand my craziness : )
The cows seem to have plenty of room to graze.
This little boy , only 2 days old, looked so scared - he needed his mommy. I know these animals are treated well and taken care of , and it is the business. I am sure that larger dairy operations are worse. So overall I know seeing a smaller dairy locally owned by a family is better than a mass produced one. But still...

Here is where they milk the cows. It is all computer operated (well except for the guys who put the machines on the utters). It is actually rather neat. They are able to detect any problems with the cows and correct them before the cow becomes sick or is uncomfortable.

Ryan with the other boys in the group.
a tractor ride
check out all the food to feed 200 cows.

Here is where the pasturize the milk. They only produce whole milk and it is non-homogenized. We bought a gallon and are waiting for the cream to separate to the top to make some butter. yumm.
After the tour we ate lunch in their hunting cabin. I love the wood bed. I want one in king size please.
All the kids playing tag after eating - thats Ryan in the orange
My sweet, sweet girl ! Right now she loves her mama milk, but one day she will have a taste..
of the yummy chocolate milk her brother is drinking!!
1 comment:
Wow, after seeing that calf's face I will never drink milk again. That is horrible. I knew it happened but that is unreal.
Post a Comment