Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Our second day

Our first day of lessons did not go exactly as planned. Ryan was soo excited about his first day ( mostly so that he could use his new chalk board!) that he convinced me to postpone our morning walk and dive right into our lessons at 8:30. Overall it went well, but I realized that trying to have circle with the story right after was to much. Since our story this week is The Mighty Oak Tree we went on a walk with our little basket in search of acorns to bring back to Lady Autumn.
Everything felt a bit rushed and Ryan and I were both worn out by 10!! not good when you have a whole day in front of you still.

One of the advantages of homeschooling is that I can pick up on what is not working and fix it immediately!!

Today was better! Much to Ryan's disliking we went for our morning walk first. I think it is so important to get out for some fresh air before we start lessons. It helps to wakes up and to inspire us. After our walk, we decided it was a good time to cut down a sapling to make fences. Anything where Ryan can "work" is so much fun for him - you can see it in his eyes. Once we got home, Ryan pulled out his fabric he bought yesterday and managed to get the sewing machine out of the closet himself telling me that he was going to make some napkins. And he did!! Although he only had a chance to make one before the machine broke ( I have a Bday coming up soon : )

By this time it felt right to start our lessons. I lite the candle and said our opening verse. I have noticed this year that Ryan is enjoying our circle time. Last year he would join in occasionally but mostly watched me. I am glad I kept at it by myself now that I see him joining in. He is even getting the silk scarfs to dance with! He is also enjoying dancing with the acorn fairy.
Lessons came next. We have been working on form drawing and the letter M. I am using "THe Path of Discovery" as my guide for introducing letters. Tonight I could hear Ryan practicing his M "up the mountain,down the mountain". We ended our lessons with our story sitting in front of the candle. I like this rhythm better. It allows Ryan to have his creative time and then we come together to work and it inspires him to continue. Like today he went right into a puppet show called" Mother Earth under the ground".

Ryan has a gift for learning and thinking outside the box - I hope that I can always give him the enviroment for which his gift can continue to grow.

1 comment:

Pam and Anders said...

Sounds like fun! He'll have to do the verse for Christmas. :)