So I dusted off the old sewing machine and set to work to make Adeline some summer dresses. It is not easy with a 3 month old who prefers mama's arms to anywhere else, but we managed. I threw her in the sling and did my best and occasionally she played on the floor next to me.
Ryan got in on the action to, making his daddy a bag to take with him on his interviews (My hubby flew to Michigan,Indiana and Wisconsin over the last 2 weeks - more to come on that later)
First up is a smocked sundress totally inspired my this very talented lady .
I love the fabric ! also inspired by her site. The designer of the fabric is Heather Ross and she has some amazing fabrics. The smocking is easy using elastic thread. However since I do not have Heather's book Weekend Sewing with the instructions in it, I had to figure it out myself. Once I did , it was a peice of cake. I even made myself a skirt with the smocking that can also be worn as a shirt. hurray! a new love of sewing and now I have the best reason in the world to make these dresses - I think she likes them too : )
The second dress is based on the idea of a Pillow Case dress. Since I did not have any pillow cases I decided to use this beautiful unicorn fabric by Heather Ross and finger knitted a tie to go around the neck. The fun part about this dress is that I had a sewing gathering at my house to work on these dresses. Sewing is fun with friends around. The kids played and the mama's worked. I have to admit that I was only able to cut mine out that day and ended up sewing it the next morning. It is so easy it took 5 minutes to cut out and about 15 min to sew! The best part is that next year she will be able to wear is as a shirt.
3 comments:
Go mummy. Those dresses are beautiful, oh and so is your little girl, so so pretty and smiley. How fast she is growing. I cannot wait to have my little one...xxx
So precious! I'm very impressed with your beautiful sewing...especially the smocking. Wow!
They are beautiful Julie. I used to make many clothes for Tom and Pam, I went much longer making clothes for Pam of course. I also did smocking. . .and still have her little smocked dresses. Lots of fun. When Adeline can sit up, use a back-pack. You can work for hours because the baby is looking over your shoulder.
Post a Comment