Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thursday is Watercolor Painting Day!

Thursday is watercolor painting day. After our morning lessons I light a candle say our verse and turn out the lights. Before I do all this I have all the watercolor painting supplies set up and waiting. Last week at our homeschool co-op our art project was watercolor painting using Autumn colors - brown,red and yellow. The mom leading the art asked the children to look at the trees outside and see how golden and red they are. The kids then proceeded to paint a picture. I was most impressed to see the progression of Ryan's paintings. Up until now his paintings have been swirls of colors as they should be. Now he has painted a picture. A beautiful tree with it's golden and red leaves.

Today we sang the song "come little leaves"
Come little leaves said the wind one day
Come over here with me and play
Put on your dresses of red and gold
Summer is gone and the days grow cold.

I also told a little story of a boy walking through the woods and noticing how the forest was changing and getting ready for winter. Painting is a very spiritual part of our week. The colors reflect the season and I set the tone with the candles and sometimes flower placed in front of us. There is always a story or song (or both) to guide us as we paint. I never lead Ryan on what to paint but encourage him to paint as he is feeling.

Today this wonderful picture appeared :

Here is mine:

4 comments:

Grandpa said...

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me
But only God can make a tree
-Joyce

julie said...

I read the poem to Ryan and he really liked it.

Anthony said...

Ryan's masterpiece hangs proudly in my office. I love it.

Anonymous said...

We have some of Ryan earlier work in our bedroom! I love it!